Scott’s practice includes many of the issues that business face today including:
- Because collection of accounts receivable is critical to profitability, Scott assists his clients by setting up procedures to ensure that bills get paid. If they don’t get paid, Scott works to help the client collect the money due, including, if necessary, filing lawsuits, garnishing bank accounts, and otherwise seizing assets to satisfy the debt.
- Scott advises and represents his clients when disputes arise with vendors, customers, competitors, and former employees, such as breach of contract, disparagement, breach of warranty, unfair competition, and non-compete and non-solicitation issues.
Because employment issues are so important and a common problem that today’s businesses face, Scott regularly advises employers on:
- Wage and hour (overtime and minimum wage) laws and regulations
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Unemployment compensation
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Preventing, investigating, and handling discrimination (gender, race, age) and harassment claims
- Drafting employee handbooks and policies
- Discipline, termination, and discharge of employees
- Drafting employment contracts
- Drafting non-compete, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements
- Drafting and negotiating severance agreements
Scott frequently represents multi-employer pension plans, helping them collect money that they are owed under federal law. This has included litigating claims in private arbitration and federal district courts throughout the country. Along with a strong team of ERISA litigators at Tucker Arensberg, Scott has gone up against some of the largest law firms in the country and helped to secure over $100 million for the pension plans, money that will help to fund the retirement of thousands of workers.
- "Drafting Non-Competition Agreements”, was published in the American Bar Association – American Law Institute (ABA-ALI) publication, The Practical Lawyer.
- “Litigating the Non Compete/Trade Secrets Case”, PBI Employment Law Institute West
Scott is a frequent speaker on employment law topics and is the author of hundreds of short articles that he sends to his clients regarding various employment law topics.