Matt represents public school districts and school entities as solicitor, labor counsel and special counsel. He also serves private sector clients predominantly in general commercial litigation, most frequently in construction-related disputes.
Education Law: Matt currently serves as solicitor for various school entities throughout Western Pennsylvania, including several public school districts and vocational-technical schools. As solicitor for these entities, his experience includes:
- Review, interpretation and application of constitutional, statutory and regulatory matters affecting school entities, staff and students
- Drafting of school district operating policies and contracts
- Special education compliance and disputes
- Student disciplinary matters
- Personnel and employment matters, including:
- Americans With Disabilities Act
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Act
- Federal discrimination law
- Hiring, demotion, furlough, discipline and termination issues
Matt represents school districts before administrative agencies and state and federal trial and appellate courts.
In representing school entities, Matt has served as chief negotiator for various professional and non-professional collective bargaining agreements, representing schools throughout the entire Act 88 process including mediation, fact-finding, non-binding arbitration and court injunctions. He has also consulted on, and litigated a broad range of school personnel issues including labor grievances, unfair labor practice charges, demotion and discharge proceedings.
Commercial Litigation/Construction Law: Matt has comprehensive experience litigating a broad range of commercial disputes, primarily involving product liability and construction, including:
- Negotiation and drafting of design, construction management and construction contracts
- Mediation, arbitration and litigation of construction-related claims involving:
- Design professional liability
- Non-conforming or defective work
- Payment disputes
- Delay and acceleration damages
- Work scope disputes
- Mechanics liens
He also serves as an arbitrator in construction disputes as a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Roster of Neutrals for arbitration of commercial and construction disputes.
- Serves as solicitor, labor counsel and construction counsel for multiple school districts and vocational-technical schools in Western Pennsylvania
- Represents public school districts, municipalities and other public entities in contesting claims for construction delay and acceleration damages and extra work claims
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of a public authority for latent defective work and the recovery of early completion bonuses
- Defended a structural engineer from professional liability claims in relation to a $1.2 billion manufacturing plant
- Defended a material manufacturer from claims of defective construction of a short-term parking garage
- Defended a contract warranty claim involving a roof blow-off at a facility