Matt concentrates his practice in the bankruptcy area, representing clients in commercial transactions, restructuring and bankruptcy matters and hold an LL.M. in Bankruptcy Law. Prior to joining Tucker Arensberg, Matt served as law clerk to the Hon. Thomas P. Agresti in the Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. Matt also practiced in New Jersey representing Chapter 7 Trustees, Chapter 11 Trustees and creditors in various bankruptcy matters. During law school, Matt served as judicial intern to the Hon. Arthur B. Briskman and Hon. Karen S. Jennemann in the Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida and the Hon. Sean H. Lane in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
Matt also has extensive knowledge and experience in the Foodservice Industry. Matt holds a degree in Culinary Arts from the Culinary Institute of America, where he graduated on the Dean’s List. Prior to pursuing his legal career, Matt worked in sales and marketing for a large broad-line foodservice distributor helping customers with recipe development and costing; and he also prepared contracts, seasonal pricing bids and managed accounts receivables for independent restaurants, franchises, large institutions and concessionaires. Prior to that Matt, worked as a chef in multiple establishments and country clubs throughout Pennsylvania. Matt has parlayed his prior career in the foodservice and food distribution industries into representing food distributors in various legal matters including collection and credit management.
- Representing Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy trustees in a bankruptcy related matters.
- Representing a national broadline foodservice distributor in collection and customer credit management matters.
- Representing various insolvent non-profits in the Pittsburgh area through the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process.
- Defending individuals and businesses who have been sued for preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance actions bankruptcy cases.
Presentations & Publications
- A.C.B.A. High School Financial Literacy Outreach Program, Speaker (2019).
- Bankruptcy & Not for Profits, A.C.B.A. Non-Profit Law Committee, Speaker (2019).
- Avoidance of college tuition payment as a fraudulent conveyance, W.D.Pa. Bankruptcy Inns of Court and Delaware Bankruptcy Inns of Court, Debate Participant (2019).
- Considerations for Non-Profit Organization Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, A.C.B.A. Bankruptcy Symposium, Speaker/Moderator (2018).
- Third Circuit Review, Norton Bankr. Law Adviser (April 2017).
- Are Bankruptcy LMPs Still Relevant? One Court's Story, Amer. Bankr. Inst. Journal (March 2017).
- Speaker, Personal Injury Cases in Bankruptcy, A.C.B.A. Bankruptcy Symposium, (2016).
- Amending Exemptions in a Re-opened Case, Norton Bankr. Law. & Practice (April 2015).
- From Mo-town to Bildisco: Rejecting Collective Bargaining Agreements in Chapter 9 Bankruptcy Cases, Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law (2015).
- Effect of Franchisor Bankruptcy on Executory Supply Contracts, Barry Law Review (Fall 2012).
Drafted Amicus Briefs filed to the United States Supreme Court in:
- First Southern Nat. Bank v. Sunnyslope Housing Ltd. Partnership, No. 17-455 (2017).
- Executive Benefits Insurance Agency v. Arkison, No. 12-1200 (2013).