Kristin’s practice includes all areas of intellectual property including patent and trademark prosecution, trade secret protection, copyright registration and licensing, software licensing, service agreements, and other transactional matters.
She works closely with clients to identify, evaluate, and protect intellectual property and regularly advises clients on issues related to intellectual property portfolio management, strategy, audits, licensing and acquisitions, due diligence, technology transfer, and valuation. She also has experience counseling clients on issues related to export compliance and intellectual property rights in government contracts.
In addition to traditional intellectual property matters, Kristin counsels clients on legal issues in emerging technologies, the Internet of Things (IoT), privacy and data security, and protecting confidential information in cloud-based IT environments.
Prior to joining Tucker Arensberg, Kristin worked as in-house counsel at a Pittsburgh-based chemical imaging company where she advised senior executives on wide range of legal issues.
Kristin frequently speaks on intellectual property issues at continuing legal education courses and corporate training sessions and is a regular contributor to Tucker Arensberg’s blog.
- Represented leading provider of pharmaceutical support services in the negotiation of various multi-million dollar service agreements.
- Represented large pharmacy benefit management organization in the negotiation of intellectual property terms in various multi-million dollar service agreements.
- Successfully prepared and prosecuted various patent applications for leading research university in the field of medical imaging technology.
- Prosecuted and managed entire United States patent portfolio for well-known chemical imaging company.
- Performed audit of patent portfolio for well-known chemical imaging company and provided advice regarding value of portfolio.
Presentations & Publications
- Cybersecurity Issues for Municipalities, Allegheny League of Municipalities Spring Conference, April 2018.
- IP Update, In-House Counsel Continuing Legal Education, April 25, 2017.
- Intellectual Property Issues for Photographers, Captured Pittsburgh Learn on Location, February 28, 2017.
- Transatlantic Business Panel on Industry 4.0, European Studies Center at the University of Pittsburgh, November 28, 2016
- 19th Annual Dr. Samuel Francis School Law Symposium and Special Education Workshop, June 15, 2016, Technology in Schools: Unsuspected Legal Hazards.
- The Knowledge Group Webcast, April 28, 2016, Telemedicine: Practical Guide on Protecting Electronic Health Records.
- Protecting Intellectual Property and Data Security, In-House Counsel Continuing Legal Education, April 19, 2016.
- Legal Issues in Collaborations, Create Festival, Three Rivers Art Festival, June 11, 2015.
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property and Data Security, In-House Counsel Continuing Legal Education, May 20, 2015
- Importance of IP Due Diligence in M&A Transactions, Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, November 2017.
- Protecting Intellectual Property in an Age of 3D Printing, Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, January 2016.
- Companies Must Update Confidentiality Agreements and Practices in Compliance with Current Trends, Elon Business Law Journal, April 2015.
- How the America Invents Act Has Changed the “One-Year Grace Period” for Filing Patent Applications, Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, July 2014.