Kristin focuses her practice on intellectual property, data security, and commercial transactions with a niche practice representing clients in the pharmaceutical, health care, and biotechnology markets.
Kristin’s intellectual property practice includes patent and trademark prosecution, trade secret protection, copyright registration, software licensing, and technology transfer.
She works closely with clients to identify, evaluate, and protect intellectual property and regularly advises clients on issues related to intellectual property portfolio management, licensing, acquisitions, due diligence, and valuation. She also has experience spearheading corporate patent committees, conducting intellectual property audits, and strategically positioning portfolios for growth and sale.
As a registered patent attorney, Kristin has significant experience advising clients on protecting intellectual property in fields such as medical imaging and diagnostics, drug delivery devices, hyperspectral imaging and spectroscopy, pharmaceutical content uniformity, pathology, remote sensing, materials analysis, and software and algorithmic methods.
Kristin’s data security practice includes counseling clients on compliance with various federal and international data protection laws including HIPAA, GDPR, FERPA, and COPPA as well as individual state data breach notification requirements.
She protects her client’s data ownership and confidentiality interests during the negotiation of commercial contracts. Her experience includes not only restricting access to and use of her client’s sensitive data but also providing vehicles for her clients to commercialize this data by structuring complex data licensing agreements.
She also regularly counsels clients and conducts training on best practices in corporate data governance, drafting and implementing data breach response plans, and investigating and resolving data breaches.
Kristin’s commercial practice includes the negotiation of a wide variety of contracts including master service agreements, clinical trial and research agreements, software licensing agreements, and technology transfer agreements.
Kristin works closely with her client’s in-house legal and procurement departments to mitigate corporate risk and provide efficient and consistent review of high volume contracts. She also regularly serves as an outside general counsel to small and mid-size businesses.
Prior to joining Tucker Arensberg, Kristin worked as in-house counsel at a Pittsburgh-based chemical imaging company where she advised senior executives on a wide range of legal issues.
Kristin frequently speaks on intellectual property, data, and contract matters at continuing legal education courses and corporate training sessions and is a regular contributor to Tucker Arensberg’s blog.
- Represented leading provider of pharmaceutical support services in the negotiation of various multi-million dollar service agreements with some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented the intellectual property and data interests of large pharmacy benefit management organization in the negotiation of various multi-million dollar licensing and service agreements.
- Developed contract negotiation playbook for use by corporate in-house counsel and contracts department.
- Prosecuted and managed the entire United States patent portfolio for well-known chemical imaging company consisting of over 200 patents and pending applications.
- Performed intellectual property audit for well-known chemical imaging company and provided advice regarding portfolio value and strategic planning.
- Represented leading research university in the prosecution of various patent applications in the field of medical imaging technology from application drafting to patent issuance.
- Represented leading software provider in the investigation and resolution of large scale data breach.
Presentations & Publications
- Nonprofit Bootcamp, Slippery Rock University, June 7, 2019.
- The Importance of an Intellectual Property Audit, Firm CLE, May 8, 2019.
- Cybersecurity Issues for Municipalities, Allegheny League of Municipalities Spring Conference, April 2018.
- IP Update, In-House Counsel Continuing Legal Education, April 25, 2017.
- Intellectual Property Issues for Photographers, Captured Pittsburgh Learn on Location, February 28, 2017.
- Transatlantic Business Panel on Industry 4.0, European Studies Center at the University of Pittsburgh, November 28, 2016
- 19th Annual Dr. Samuel Francis School Law Symposium and Special Education Workshop, June 15, 2016, Technology in Schools: Unsuspected Legal Hazards.
- The Knowledge Group Webcast, April 28, 2016, Telemedicine: Practical Guide on Protecting Electronic Health Records.
- Protecting Intellectual Property and Data Security, In-House Counsel Continuing Legal Education, April 19, 2016.
- Legal Issues in Collaborations, Create Festival, Three Rivers Art Festival, June 11, 2015.
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property and Data Security, In-House Counsel Continuing Legal Education, May 20, 2015
- Importance of IP Due Diligence in M&A Transactions, Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, November 2017.
- Protecting Intellectual Property in an Age of 3D Printing, Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, January 2016.
- Companies Must Update Confidentiality Agreements and Practices in Compliance with Current Trends, Elon Business Law Journal, April 2015.
- How the America Invents Act Has Changed the “One-Year Grace Period” for Filing Patent Applications, Iron & Steel Technology Magazine, July 2014.