Katherine is a motivated and results-driven attorney who represents a diverse client base across multiple practice areas.
Katherine aims to serve as a practical problem-solver and forward-thinker on the unique issues faced by clients in today’s legal climate. For example, Katherine has recently advised clients on topics including the regulation of short-term rental properties and AirBnb’s, and the intersection of unemployment compensation and the gig economy. Katherine’s research on these cutting-edge issues has been quoted by numerous publications and was cited by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in a 2019 opinion.
In business and corporate matters, Katherine regularly advises clients on the terms of contracts and agreements, prepares documentation for mergers, acquisitions, and asset purchases, and assists with entity formation. In the real estate realm, Katherine handles commercial and residential lease and purchase transactions and has assisted in title litigation. In related zoning and land use matters, Katherine has both represented and appeared before local Zoning Hearing Boards and Planning Commissions. She has experience drafting Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance amendments. She also has facilitated municipal comprehensive planning and blight remediation efforts.
As a school and municipal solicitor, Katherine appears at public meetings and provides counsel to elected officials in compliance with the Pennsylvania Sunshine Law. Katherine strategically approaches the drafting of proposed ordinances and resolutions, to make certain that if enacted, they achieve the clients’ policy goals. She also advises on clients’ contracts with employees and third party entities to ensure smooth administration of resident and student services.
Katherine also acts as a litigator for her clients, and frequently appears before the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas to argue motions and appeals. She routinely represents both property owners and taxing bodies in hearings before the Allegheny County Board of Property Assessment Appeals and Review (BPAAR) and Board of Viewers, resulting in determinations of the current market value of millions of dollars of residential and commercial real estate throughout Allegheny County.
- Drafted zoning ordinance amendments addressing modern trends, including short term rentals (i.e., AirBnb) and raising of backyard chickens and beekeeping.
- Facilitated intergovernmental completion of a municipal comprehensive plan in compliance with the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code.
- Represented municipality before local Zoning Hearing Board and on appeal in contested hearing for construction of multi-million dollar fueling facility.
- Drafted and coordinated execution of Land Development Agreement between Township and local 501(c)(3) for construction of recreational trail.
- Advised school district on requirements and drafted agreement for employment of school police officers.
- Successfully prosecuted former school district employee for failure to comply with provisions of Family and Medical Leave Act.
Presentations & Publications
- Allegheny County and Western Pennsylvania Association of Township Commissioners, Fall Conference, October 2019
- “Unemployment Compensation and the Gig Economy,” Labor & Employment Update, September 2019
- “The ABC’s of the MPC: Navigating the PA Municipalities Planning Code,” Pennsylvania Borough News, September 2019 issue
- Pennsylvania State Boroughs Association, Annual Municipal Legal Update, August 2019
- “Short-term rental of a property as a permitted use depends on exact language of the zoning ordinance,” 21 No. 13 Lawyers J. 3 (June 2019).
- “Short Term Rental, Long Term Impact: Municipal Regulation of AirBnb and Homesharing,” 20 No. 11 Lawyers J. 14 (2018) (cited by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in Slice of Life v. Hamilton Twp. Zoning Hearing Board, 207 A.3d 886, 897 (Pa. 2019)).