Katie’s practice primarily focuses on representation of municipalities and schools. As a school and municipal solicitor, she regularly appears at public meetings and provides legal counsel to elected officials in compliance with the Pennsylvania Sunshine Law. Katie strategically approaches the drafting of proposed ordinances and resolutions, to make certain that if enacted, they achieve the clients’ policy goals. She also advises on clients’ contracts with employees and third party entities to ensure smooth administration of resident and student services.
Katie is experienced in appearing before the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas. She has successfully prosecuted dozens of municipal criminal code enforcement cases before local magistrates and at Allegheny County Summary Appeals court, resulting in remediation or assessment of penalties for local code violations. In the area of creditors’ rights, Katie has litigated on behalf of schools and municipalities for the collection of delinquent real estate taxes and municipal claims. She has also represented both property owners and taxing bodies in hearings before the Allegheny County Board of Property Assessment Appeals and Review (BPAAR) and Board of Viewers, resulting in determinations of the current market value of millions of dollars of residential and commercial real estate throughout Allegheny County.
In land use, zoning, and real estate matters, Katie has both represented and appeared before local Zoning Hearing Boards and Planning Commissions. She has drafted Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance amendments. She also has facilitated municipal comprehensive planning, blight remediation efforts, as well as individual residential real estate transactions and title disputes.
- Drafted zoning ordinance amendments addressing modern trends, including short term rentals (i.e., AirBnb) and raising of backyard chickens and beekeeping.
- Facilitated intergovernmental completion of a municipal comprehensive plan in compliance with the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code.
- Represented municipality before local Zoning Hearing Board and on appeal in contested hearing for construction of multi-million dollar fueling facility.
- Drafted and coordinated execution of Land Development Agreement between Township and local 501(c)(3) for construction of recreational trail.
- Advised school district on requirements and drafted agreement for employment of school police officers.
- Successfully prosecuted former school district employee for failure to comply with provisions of Family and Medical Leave Act.