Jim has been working around employment matters for over 20 years. First as a human resource manager in a hospital and now as an attorney meeting the needs of clients relative to labor and employment. Jim also handles employment related immigration and acts as a mediator for employment related disputes.
While at the hospital, Jim utilized lawyers to assist him with his duties as Human Resource Manager. As a result, he is keenly aware of what human resource professionals need and how to assist them with those needs. While providing sound legal advice he is always aware of the practical nature of the request, and seeks to provide counsel in a manner that meets the real life needs of the client. He has provided advice and counsel on matters from writing job descriptions to hiring to terminating and all the employment issues in between. He has litigated as well, and thus has an ability to provide his advice and counsel from the perspective of having to defend the employer’s actions in a court room. His clients range from small businesses to large, in the medical, manufacturing, energy, construction, technology, non-profit and service industries. Jim is an accomplished public speaker and enjoys presenting on employment related topics as well as doing in house training for his clients. He is a mediator listed on the Western District of Pennsylvania ADR list. He is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell.
- Regularly handles matters before the EEOC, PHRC and other government agencies;
- Defended clients in matters before the Department of Labor and the Department of Justice;
- Worked with Department of Labor to resolve wage and hour issues;
- Successfully secured a seven figure settlement for a client from an insurer;
- Successfully secured TN, H1B and Green cards;
- Spearheaded and delivered trainings on management practices, leaves of absence, medical marijuana and other HR topics;
- Guided a Fortune 500 company through the termination of several long term chronic problem employees;
- Developed, edited and created employment policies and handbooks;
- Successfully negotiated collective bargaining agreements;
- Defended utility company against unfair labor practice claims before the NLRB;
- Successfully sought enforcement of as well as challenged restrictive covenants.