Fred’s practice is concentrated in the areas of school and municipal law, traditional labor & employment law and litigation in a broad variety of issues in these areas.
His experience includes:
- Negotiation, drafting and implementation/administration of collective bargaining agreements for both private sector clients and numerous school districts, municipalities and municipal authorities under Acts 88 and 195, as well as collective bargaining and interest arbitration with police under Act 111
- All aspects of employee hiring, promotion, discipline and discharge with a particular emphasis in professional and non-professional public school employees and police both under civil service and the Police Tenure Act
- Interpretation of statutory, regulatory and constitutional matters as they apply to municipalities, school districts and their employees; advising clients on matters involving municipal powers, duties and obligations under applicable statutory and regulatory authority, public official liability and immunity, student and student discipline matters and drafting of ordinances, policies, resolutions and related matters
- Grievances and arbitration hearings involving a broad range of issues
- Practicing before the PLRB and NLRB, litigating numerous unfair labor practice charges, election and certification/decertification issues and unit clarification petitions
Fred serves as solicitor or special labor counsel to several school districts, municipalities and municipal authorities. He has frequently represented employers before the:
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission
- Pittsburgh Commission on Human Relations and in State and Federal Courts for alleged violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Rehabilitation Act, Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Equal Pay Act and common law tort claims
He routinely counsels clients regarding their obligations and potential for liability to those above referenced regarding all employment legislation and other topics such as wage and hour matters.
He has also drafted numerous employee policies, employee handbooks and Civil Service Rules & Regulations.