The construction industry has many unique needs. We work with construction companies, and we understand your business issues. Our attorneys work with contractors, sub-contractors, sureties, lenders, and property owners on both commercial and residential construction projects. We have experience with all aspects of construction projects and help clients with:
- Negotiating contracts
- Structuring to achieve the best tax outcome
- Litigation and dispute resolution
When a company has a construction dispute, it needs lawyers who can prosecute a claim or defend against the claims of another; often both are needed simultaneously. We assist our clients with claims arising from disputes over:
- Project delays
- Change order disputes
- Withholding of payments
- Inferior or defective workmanship
- Engineering issues
- Surety bonds
- Mechanics liens
- Job site injuries
An important factor in the decision to hire an attorney for construction litigation is whether the attorneys have experience with the laws and regulations specific to the construction industry, and whether they are comfortable in all of the forums where such disputes are heard. We have litigated under the:
- Contractor and Subcontractor Payment Act
- Federal Miller Act
- Pennsylvania Bond Law
- Pennsylvania Mechanics Lien Law
We appear for our clients in federal and state courts in many jurisdictions, in arbitrations through the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and private arbitrations. A number of our attorneys have served as AAA arbitrators and as private arbitrators or mediators on construction matters. If litigation is required, our attorneys’ in-depth understanding of the construction business, as well as the law, makes it possible for us to work with clients to develop a proper litigation resolution strategy that best meets the company’s business goals. While construction companies have unique needs, they also have many of the same issues as other businesses and need counsel that can support them in their operations. We are a full-service business law firm, so our construction clients count on us for business matters including:
- Defended a structural engineer from professional liability claims in relation to a $1.2 billion manufacturing plant.
- Defended a contract warranty claim involving a roof blow-off at a facility.
- Represented large construction company in litigation relating to large construction projects.
- Acted as claims counsel for a global EPC contractor in connection with a 683-MW natural gas-fired combined cycle power plant and a $200 million pipe mill construction project.
- Represented a global engineering and construction company in international arbitration proceedings related to power generation plant construction, which involved claims in excess of $190 million.
- After a two-week trial before the Pennsylvania Board of Claims, obtained a $6 million judgment in favor of a heavy civil construction contractor in connection with differing site condition claims related to a highway design-build reconstruction and expansion project.
- Represented an engineering company in a multi-party, multi-billion-dollar dispute relating to the construction of a steel processing facility.
- Negotiation, litigation, and trial of $26 million construction dispute.
- Petition for preliminary injunction against a competitive business in violation of non-compete agreements for large solar installation company.
- Negotiation and drafting of design, construction management, and construction contracts.
- Mediation, arbitration, and litigation of construction-related claims involving design professional liability, non-conforming or defective work, payment disputes, delay and acceleration damages, work scope disputes.
- Mechanics liens.