The Higher Education Law group serves the unique needs of institutions of higher learning including:
- Trade, career and vocational schools
Our lawyers are experienced in representing institutions of higher education on the myriad issues that they face in carrying out their educational mission. We regularly work with clients on a broad range of critical issues including:
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy act (FERPA)
- Title IX
- Clery Act reporting
- Endowments and fiduciary requirements
- Campus crime reporting
- First Amendment issues
Litigation: For disputes that cannot be resolved without resorting to litigation, institutions need aggressive and seasoned courtroom representation. Our litigators have significant experience representing our clients before state and federal courts, administrative agencies and in mediation and arbitration hearings.
Contracts: We offer our higher education clients full service contract review and negotiation.
Finance & Investment: We counsel our higher education clients on the financial issues that affect their business objectives including:
- Tax exempt financing and conventional loan transactions
- Fiduciary issues
- Planned giving arrangements
- Compensation and retirement plans
Governance: We assist our clients in governance issues including compliance, policy and ethical considerations.
Labor & Employment: We regularly counsel colleges and universities on a wide variety of employment matters. We represent them before the courts, the Human Relations Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on discrimination and unfair labor practices.
- Discrimination (employee and student)
- Executive employment contracts
- Separation agreements
- Professional services contracts
- OSHA disputes
- Wage and hour compliance
- Employee discipline
- Labor negotiations and arbitrations
- Unemployment compensation
- Workers’ compensation
- Unfair labor practice charges
- Employee benefits