Neil J. Gregorio
Neil is a shareholder in the firm’s Litigation Department. His practice focuses on ERISA matters for multiemployer trust funds, with an emphasis on:
- Withdrawal Liability,
- Controlled Group Liability,
- Bankruptcy Claims,
- Asset Sales/Stock Sales,
- Delinquent Contributions, and
- Successor/Alter Ego Liability.
Within Pennsylvania and the surrounding states, Neil represents various multiemployer trust funds sponsored by the Carpenters, Bricklayers, Iron Workers, Laborers, Operating Engineers, Painters, Plumbers, and Steamfitters.
On a nationwide basis, Neil continuously handles dozens of withdrawal liability and bankruptcy claims for the Steelworkers Pension Trust, as well as the Boilermaker-Blacksmith National Pension Trust whose collective assets are worth over $11 billion.
Presentations: Neil is a regular speaker for The International Foundation of Employee Benefits (“IFEB”) and other groups. Below are some of Neil’s recent speaking engagements:
Law Firm Alliance – 2018 Nationwide Webinar
- “Withdrawal Liability for Attorneys”
IFEB 2017 Annual Conference – Las Vegas
- “Advanced Withdrawal Liability for Attorneys”
IFEB 2017 Collections Institute – Santa Monica
- “Unique ERISA Collection Cases – You Be The Judge”
- “Two Hat Dilemma: Which Hat Are You Wearing”
IFEB 2016 Annual Conference – Orlando
- “Understanding an Employer’s Bankruptcy Impact on Trust Funds”
IFEB 2016 Collections Institute – Boston
- “Beyond the Signatory Employer”
IFEB 2015 Annual Conference – Honolulu
- “DOL Apprentice Fund Audits”
IFEB 2015 Collections Institute – Las Vegas
- “ERISA Collections and Bankruptcy”
United Steelworkers Union – 2015 District 1 Annual Meeting – Cleveland
- “Withdrawal Liability”
IFEB 2014 Annual Conference – Boston
- “Emerging ERISA Collection Issues”
IFEB 2014 Collections Institute – Santa Monica
- “ERISA Litigation and Bankruptcy”
- “Attorney Breakout Session” on Withdrawal Liability, Construction Industry Exemption, Controlled Group Liability, and Asset Sales Designed to Evade or Avoid Withdrawal Liability
Honors and Awards:
- For three years, Neil Co-Chaired the Allegheny County Bar Association’s Backpack Project which annually donated over 1,500 backpacks filled with school supplies directly to elementary school children in the most challenged areas of Pittsburgh.
– For his efforts, Neil was the recipient of the 2014 Presidential Merit Award from the Allegheny County Bar Foundation for exceptional community service.
- Neil has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer Rising Star each year since 2013.
- Neil is admitted to practice before all Pennsylvania state courts, the Pennsylvania Western District Court, as well as the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- His application for the Kansas Bar is pending.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2003
- Law Review
- Duquesne University, 1998
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Division 1 Basketball Player
Other Professional Experience:
- FedEx Ground Package System, Inc.
- In-House Attorney – April 2008 – December 2009
- While in law school, Neil interned for the Honorable Donald E. Ziegler in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and in the Legal Department of the UPMC Health System.
Outside the Office:
- Neil is married with three young children and a dog. In his limited free time, he plays team tennis and golfs for fun.