Michael A. Cassidy
Mike is a healthcare lawyer focusing on compliance, peer review, reimbursements, contracts, HIPAA and telehealth issues for physicians.
- Health Information Technology (HIT): Electronic health records, telehealth and telemedicine, and licensing
- Reimbursement: Medicare and third party payment, managed care contracting, business structures and joint ventures
- Compliance: Anti-kickback, Stark, audits and investigations
- Credentialing: Medical staff and state licensing, peer review, investigations and hearings
- HIPAA: Privacy and Security
Mike is a shareholder and concentrates his practice in Health Law, chairs the firm’s Business and Finance Department, and is a member of the Health Law Practice Group and the Employee Benefits Practice Group, and currently co-chairs the AHLA National Practitioner Data Bank Work Group.
Practice Areas: Health Law
Articles and Presentations: Mike writes and lectures on health law issues for the American Health Lawyers Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Health Care Compliance Association, the Healthcare Financial Management Association, and numerous state and county medical societies and bar associations. Some of the most significant recent activities are:
- “Peer Review Re-Engineered: The New Paradigm of Employed Physicians and Value-Based Purchasing,” AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, New Orleans, LA, February, 2018
- “Physician Employment Contracts,” American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, San Diego, CA, November 2016
- “Telehealth Update”, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 2016
- “The 2015 Databank Guide Book: Significant Changes, Issues and Challenges” – AHLA 2016 Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute February 2016
- “Chapter 6. Introduction to Telehealth” – Health Law Handbook, Vol. 27, No.1, 2015 Edition, Thomson Reuter Publisher
- “2015 NPDB Guidebook: Issues and Challenges” – presented by AHLA and the National Practitioner Data Bank
- “Introduction to Telehealth” – Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 2015
Honors and Awards: Mike has an AV® rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards awarded by this national directory of lawyers.
Mike has been named to the list of Best Lawyers in America® for Health Care Law and as one of Pennsylvania’s Super Lawyers® for Health Care Law for many years. He received the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s “Excellence in Health Care Law Award” for 2003 and Best Lawyers® Healthcare Lawyer of the year in 2016.
Memberships and Activities
- Pittsburgh Business Group on Health (PBGH) board member and Secretary
- Member and past chair of the American Health Lawyers Association and Medical Staff, Credentialing and Peer Review (MSCPR) Practice Group
- Western Pennsylvania Health Information and Management Systems Society (WPHIMSS) board member and Treasurer
- Member of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Health Law Advisory Committee
- Medical Group Management Association (MGMA)
- Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA)
- Pennsylvania eHealth Initiative (PAeHI)
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- Various federal courts
Education and Background: Mike earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and his Bachelor of Arts from Brown University