Jonathan S. McAnney
Jon is a shareholder and concentrates his practice on defense litigation where he represents both insured and self-insured utilities, businesses, banks, manufacturers, suppliers, retailers and many other parties. He has been lead trial counsel in numerous jury and non-jury trials in Western Pennsylvania.
Among the types of cases Jon has handled are:
- Represented publicly traded companies who have been sued for personal injury, wrongful death and premises liability claims
- Defended regional utility company which was sued for automobile accident claims
- Represented national home improvement retailer in store-related premises liability claims
- Prosecuted and defended claims against persons or entities which cause significant property damages
- Handled copyright infringement litigation in which damages were awarded against companies for violating federal copyright law
- Represented national credit card portfolio company in recovering millions of dollars in outstanding credit card debt
Jon is a shareholder with the firm and has tried hundreds of arbitrations and numerous jury and non-jury trials during his tenure at the firm.
In addition, a large part of Jon’s practice includes handling collections for banks, financial institutions, credit card companies and corporations. He has assisted financial institutions in recovering secured and unsecured accounts including delinquent credit cards, installment loans, student loans, motor vehicle & mobile home loans and lines of credit.
Areas of Practice: Litigation, Banking, Copyright Infringement
Honors and Awards: Jon is a member of the Allegheny County Academy of Trial Lawyers. Jon is a recipient of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Legal Services to the Public Committee Pro Bono Award. Jon is also a recipient of the Jane F. Hepting Individual Attorney Award through the Allegheny County Bar Foundation in recognition of his pro bono efforts. Jon is a past recipient of the Richard B. Tucker Award of Distinction in recognition of his contributions to the legal community while at Tucker Arensberg.
Memberships and Activities: Jon is very active in the Allegheny County Bar Association; his activities include:
- Member of the Civil Litigation Section, including serving as Secretary, Treasurer, Vice-Chair and Chair
- Member of the Insurance Committee
- Member and past Co-Chair of the Public Service Committee (chair of the Backpack Program Subcommittee and co-chair of the Blood Drive)
- Past member of the Judiciary Committee
Jurisdictions: Jon represents parties in litigation in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in all counties in Western Pennsylvania as well as in the Federal District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Education and Background: Jon is a 1987 graduate of the Syracuse University School of Law. Jon did his undergraduate work at the State University of New York, College at Plattsburgh where he earned his degree in Political Science and History.