John T. Vogel
John is a shareholder and co-chair of the Municipal and School Group. He handles corporate, business, land use and tax assessment/tax exemption matters for businesses, institutions and individuals. He also represents school districts and municipal entities as solicitor or special counsel.
In representing clients in business law areas, John’s experience includes:
- Entity formation, acquisition and dissolution, contract drafting and negotiation
- Development of curative land use amendments and litigation of land use approvals and zoning variances
- Lease development and review, counseling on lease disputes and interpretation
- Litigation of, and advice on, commercial, industrial, residential and non-profit tax appeals and tax exemption applications
As solicitor or counsel for public entities, John’s duties encompass:
- Counseling clients on general municipal and school law issues ranging from policy development to statutory and regulatory interpretation to advice on administrative and operational matters
- Negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, prosecution for and defense of clients in employee discipline matters and arbitrations
- Development of land use ordinances and amendments and counseling municipalities on zoning approvals
- Development of tax assessment and tax collection programs to ensure proper revenue for municipal/school operations
- Drafting of contracts and advising on employee benefits, intergovernmental cooperation and special education matters
Articles and Presentations: John has written about assessment/collection issues in local publications and has been quoted in the media concerning property tax matters. He has given presentations and participated in round-table discussions on local tax matters. John has also given presentations on school records/privacy issues.
Memberships and Activities: John is a Board Member for the Allegheny County Bar Association (ACBA) Real Estate Section and is Treasurer of the ACBA Association of Municipal and School Solicitors. He is a member of the Municipality of Mt. Lebanon Parks Advisory Board, where he has served as President. John has been a member of several committees advising the Municipality on operational issues including development of the Municipality’s new Comprehensive Plan.
Jurisdictions: John is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania before the United States District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania, the District of New Jersey, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Education and Background: John received his B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1983 and earned his Juris Doctor from the Vanderbilt University School of Law in 1989 where he was Authorities Editor for the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law.