Barry K. Nelson
Barry is a shareholder in the firm’s Business and Finance practice group. Barry concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial finance and corporate transactional law representing financial institutions and a wide variety of business clients. Barry serves as the co-chair of the Financial Institutions Practice Group and the chair of the Medical Marijuana Practice Group.
Barry’s finance practice involves representing financial institutions and borrowers in the documentation, negotiation and closing of single and multi-lender secured and unsecured credit facilities including;
- Asset based lending
- Construction and real estate financing
- Mezzanine financing
- Working capital facilities to U.S. exporters
- Overseas project financing
- Insured financing to overseas purchasers of U.S. exports
Barry also serves in the role of corporate counsel to many companies acting as a trusted adviser to businesses ranging from start-ups and small privately-held companies to publicly traded companies with large global footprints. He advises clients on a wide range of transactions including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Article 2 sales transactions
- Public and private bid contracts
- Government contracts
- Intellectual property rights and licensing agreements
- Service contracts
- Financing arrangements
- Distribution and sourcing agreements
- Manufacturing Agreements
Barry has developed significant experience in the documentation and negotiation of distributorship relationships across numerous industries sourcing both branded and private label products domestically and internationally and reselling into global markets.
He also provides direct industry participants, such as growers, dispensaries and investors, with legal advice regarding the Medical Marijuana Act, medical marijuana regulations, and the latest industry developments. Barry advises clients on the following issues related to medical marijuana:
- Entity formation and structuring
- Application process and licensing with the PA Department of Health
- Corporate and commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions and financing
- Real estate matters
- Zoning requirements
- Privacy regulations
- Records retention and document management
Areas of Practice: Commercial Finance, Contracts/Sourcing, Financial Institutions, Mergers & Acquisitions
Jurisdictions: Barry is admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Education and Background: Barry graduated, cum laude, from the Duquesne University School of Law, in May 2001, where he was a member of the Duquesne Law Review. While at Duquesne, he externed for Justice Ralph Cappy of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. He graduated from Allegheny College in 1998 with a B.A. in Environmental Studies.